ost people only think about the aesthetics of their roof when choosing a new roof, such as the roofing material, the color, and perhaps the style, such as adobe. Few people (roofers excluded) think about all the supporting components of their roof, such as fastenings, ventilation, insulation, drainage, and pitch — all of which are components that allow your roof’s surface (which is what you see and think about) do its job of sheltering you from the elements.
Texas Star Roofing in Plano knows what it takes to install a complete roofing system that will protect your home for decades. With over 20 years of experience in the roofing industry, we offer residential and commercial roofing repairs and roofing replacements. We understand how the little details matter. In this blog post, we’ll review just a few of the elements that go into a complete roofing system, that if you aren’t installed correctly, will end up costing you in the long run. Contact your local roofers in North Dallas, Texas Star Roofing, for your free, no-obligation roofing estimate today!
- Proper ventilation. In essence, ventilation is the flow of air. With roofing ventilation, you can either have a power source for mechanical ventilation or natural ventilation that uses the principles of physics and the wind. Basically, when hot air rises up in your roof, the wind creates an intake and exhaust system, using high and low pressure, to suck the hot air out of your roof. Good roofing ventilation will help to prevent ice dams from forming in the winter, which can cause leaks in your roof. It will keep energy costs down since the hot air in your roof from the summer can now escape. Ventilation also will keep your upstairs cooler in the summers. Texas Star Roofing understands the importance of roof ventilation, and we ensure all of our new roof installations are properly ventilated.
- Attic insulation. Attic insulation helps to regulate your roof’s temperature, keeping it the same throughout, which helps to prevent ice dams and keep your home the same temperature without drastic temperature differences on different levels of your home. With your home the same temperature throughout, you’ll also save on heating and cooling costs as your HVAC system will have to work less to achieve desired results. Too much heat in your roof can also damage asphalt shingles, causing them to crack or swell. Furthermore, attic insulation will help lower your heating costs as it keeps the hot air down in your home during the winter as well as the cooler air during the summer. It prevents mold, which likes cool, dark, and moist spaces, from growing. Attic insulation prevents water vapor or condensation from entering your home, causing water damage. Insulation also collects air contaminants and stops them from entering your home. These contaminants could cause breathing problems and other health effects over time. We at Texas Star Roofing take attic insulation seriously. You can be assured when you partner with us for your new commercial or residential roofing system, you’re getting the best in attic insulation.
- Roof drainage. Many people forget about how important it is to have water drain properly from your roof. When water pools on your roof, it’s more likely to leak into your home and cause structural damage. This is why investing in regular gutter cleaning services is essential to make sure water goes where it is supposed to go. Furthermore, the reason roofs were first sloped (instead of flat) was to aid in water drainage, utilizing the effects of gravity. Your local roofer, Texas Star Roofing, can inspect your roof regularly to check for proper drainage from your roof.
- Flashing. Flashing is the name for material (usually metal of some type) that is used on your roof over joints with the express purpose to keep water out. You will most often see flashing around your chimney, skylights, vents, or roof valleys.
- Fascia. If you’ve heard of the fascia at all, it’s in relation to medical science or exercises science since it’s the connective tissue in the body that attaches and surrounds muscles and organs. In roofing, fascia is similar. It’s the finishing part of the roof near the gutters that acts as a protective layer between the edge of the roof and the outdoor environment. It protects your home from — you guessed it, water, which is the biggest factor in mold growth. It also smooths out the edges of your roof, giving it a polished finish. Both flashing and fascia are checked by Texas Star Roofing when we perform a residential or commercial roofing inspection.
- Soffit. The soffit is installed under the fascia under the eave. It assists with ventilation and is another protective covering for your roof’s wood to keep out moisture which prevents mold from growing. A soffit is a commonplace for critters to try and penetrate since it’s usually a thinner portion of your roof and thus, more likely to have holes that critters can then squeeze into. It’s important to have your soffit and your fascia inspected by your local roofer, Texas Star Roofing in North Dallas, regularly to ensure it is intact and properly functioning.
A roofing system is composed of many parts and details that all work together to ensure your home or business is safe, secure, and promotes healthy living. Texas Star Roofing in North Dallas understands that a roof needs to be functional as well as aesthetically pleasing. We offer the highest quality roofing materials to suit your needs, from metal roofs, asphalt roofs, and tile roofs. We employ only the best roofers to ensure your roofing system is installed properly. We treat all of our customers how we want to be treated — with integrity, honesty, and value. We warranty our work, and if there’s something wrong, we’ll fix it.
Texas Star Roofing in Plano is a Top Rated Local® residential roofing contractor. We specialize in residential and commercial roof repair and roof replacement services. We offer free, no-obligation roof inspections in order to fix problems before they compound. In the event of a storm, we’ll work with your insurance company to process your roofing claim as quickly as possible. We’ve created a free homeowner guide, which you can download from our website, that will explain how to choose the best local roofer. We inspect your entire roofing system, including the roofing details that matter. When you partner with Texas Star Roofing, you’re partnering with the best local roofer. Contact us today for residential and commercial roofing services in the Dallas/Fort Worth area!